Deputies are available for private hire during their off-duty hours at the request of citizens, organizations, and businesses. These deputies can assist the community by providing law enforcement services relating to crowd control, traffic control and security. Deputies are available on short notice, long-term placements and for all your security needs.
Deputies may be hired for the following:
- Traffic control and pedestrian safety
- Crowd control
- Civic celebrations
- Construction sites
- Job safety
- Private functions
- Social events
- Store sales events
- Security and protection of life and property
- Exercise of routine law enforcement
Procedure for hiring an off-duty deputy is as follows:
- Contact the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office Secondary Employment Coordinator, Carla Von Kaenel, at 850-613-2212 or email email@example.com
- Complete application and return to the Secondary Employment Coordinator. You may fax completed application to 850-609-3048 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Upon receipt of the application, the Secondary Employment Coordinator will contact you in order to verify the information and obtain specific details. A minimum of three days’ notice is required to complete the process.*
- Each application must be approved prior to final acceptance. The Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office reserves the right to refuse or cancel off-duty work assignments that are in conflict with the law or values of the Sheriff’s Office. Furthermore, the Sheriff’s Office may recall the deputies for official duty when necessary for community safety.
Rates of Service
The current rate of pay for off-duty services is $30.00 or $40.00 per hour for each deputy, depending on job requirements. This fee includes $27.00/$37.00 per hour for each deputy plus a $3.00 per hour administrative fee. If the date of service is on a holiday observed by the Sheriff’s Office, the rate is $42 per hour for each deputy plus the $3.00 per hour administrative fee. There is a two hour minimum charge regardless of the need.
The administrative fee is paid separately, and directly, to the Sheriff’s Office and is used to offset the cost of fuel, uniform use, vehicle wear and tear, and fees associated with administering the secondary employment program.
Events requiring five (5) or more deputies will require a supervisor. The supervisor rate of pay is higher depending on the number of deputies on the job (call for requirements).
* Requests not meeting the three day processing schedule will be assessed a short notice, convenience fee. Convenience fee rates will be $40.00 per hour with a four hour minimum charge. Short notice requests for holiday coverage will be billed at $45.00 per hour with a 4 hour minimum charge.
2020 HOLIDAY RATE GUIDE (Effective 12/01/2019)
Contract for service: Application for Hiring Off-Duty Deputies