- Job Openings
- Equal Opportunity Employment Plan
- Auxillary Aids Plan – OCSO & Domestic Violence Programs
- To access a previously started application, please use this link until January 31, 2021: https://applications.sheriff-okaloosa.org/atk1/
Brief Description of Duties: The duties of this position require a constitutional law enforcement officer to bear arms and be proficient in their use, patrol areas of Okaloosa County to preserve peace, prevent and discover criminal acts, as well as respond to calls for service and prepare written reports concerning involvement in the duties assigned.
- Florida Certified Law Enforcement Officer.
- Valid Florida driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
- High School Diploma/GED.
- Must be at least 19 years of age.
- US Citizen.
- Not convicted of any felony or misdemeanor involving perjury or a false statement as an adult. Good moral character as determined by a background investigator.
- Pass Physical Ability Test.
- Qualify with a semi-automatic handgun.
- Must be able to perform the essential functions of a deputy sheriff.
- Residency requirement: Sworn members must reside in Okaloosa or its surrounding counties.
- Physical Abilities Test
- Drug Screen
- Fingerprint Scan
- Polygraph Test
- Medical and Psychological Exams
- Background Investigation
- Oral Review Board
Final selection is based on availability of positions. If you are interested in applying for a Deputy Sheriff position, please complete the online Law Enforcement application. For more information please contact our Human Resources Office at (850) 651-7410 or email HR@sheriff-okaloosa.org. Starting Salary: $42,120.00. Agency pays compensatory credit for prior experience. All sworn new hires receive a $3,000.00 hiring bonus (must complete two years service obligation.)
For Out-of-State Law Enforcement Certified or Military Members Working in Law Enforcement Specialties
If you are certified in Law Enforcement in another state, federal agency, or military, or if you have more than four years break in Law Enforcement certification, you may be exempted from attending the full basic recruit academy and you qualify for an Out-of-State Equivalency. For further information: Click here
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: The Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office provides equal access and equal opportunity in employment and services and does not discriminate. Preference is given to certain veterans and their spouses as provided by Florida Statute 295.
Please Note: Hiring process is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation, which includes drug screening, polygraph and medical physical. The duration of the hiring process is approximately 3 to 6 weeks for both sworn and civilian positions.
BENEFITS: (Full Time Employees)
- Health, Dental, Vision, Life and Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Retirement Plan under the Florida State Retirement System
- Annual leave, sick leave, military leave and paid Holidays
- Deferred Compensation Plan
- Tuition Reimbursement
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws:
- Equal Opportunity Employment is the Law
- Equal Opportunity Employment is the Law Poster Supplement
- Your Rights Under the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993
NWFSC Law Enforcement Training Center Information: