“Anything we can do to make our streets safer for citizens of every age is a smart step in the right direction,” said Sheriff Ashley. The program is a 9-hour course taught over several days that trains teens how to prevent crashes through defensive driving techniques and evasive maneuvers. The program provides a mixture of classroom instruction and hands-on driver training at the Northwest Florida State College driving range in Niceville.
Teens 15-19 are eligible and MUST have a valid Learner’s Permit/Florida Operators License and participants must provide their own car. Students MUST hold their permit 6 months before taking the course. The Sheriff’s Office will not provide cars for this program.
TDC Program Dates
- Classroom Portion – Friday, May 13, 2016 from 5:00-9:00 p.m. at the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office Administration Building
- Driving Portion – Saturday, May 14, 2016 morning session from 7:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. or afternoon session from 12:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m. at Northwest Florida State College Driving Range.
- Classroom Portion – Friday, June 24 2016 from 5:00-9:00 p.m. at the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office Administration Building
- Driving Portion – Saturday, June 25, 2016 morning session from 7:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. or afternoon session from 12:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m. at Northwest Florida State College Driving Range.
Future class dates will be posted here when they become available. Please direct all questions, comments or requests for information to the TDC Point of Contact:
Elizabeth Forgette – 850 613-2212 – email@example.com
Due to a high demand for the Teen Driver Challenge course and limited seating (12 per class), two attempts will be made to notify the student / guardian of their class date the week before the class. If the student’s attendance is not confirmed, they will be dropped from the class and will need to reapply.
The following forms are required for participation in the Teen Driver Challenge program:
- Teen Driver Challenge Sign Up Form
- Parental Permission Form and Release of All Claims
- Seat Belt Convincer Waiver
- Student Statement of Voluntary Participation and Release of All Claims
Forms may require PDF reader to view and/or print. Download and install a free version of Acrobat Reader from Adobe’s website by following this link.
The Teen Driver Challenge is not an advanced driving course. It is a defensive driving program that covers the following topics and driving exercises:
- Vehicle Dynamics
- Human Factors
- Drug and Alcohol Use
- Night Driving
- Aggressive Driving and Road Rage
- Threshold, ABS, and Emergency Braking
- Evasive Maneuvers
- Forward and Reverse Serpentine
- Figure 8
- Off Road Recovery
- Skid Control
Related Links and Info
- For more info about the FSA Teen Driver Challenge, click here to visit the website.
- Autos and the Dangers of Distracted Driving
- Sheriff Ashley supports the Text Free Driving Pledge
- Helpful information about improving teen driver safety and lowering insurance rates can be found via The Simple Dollar
- Driving While Intexticated
Sponsors Needed for TDC
Want to sponsor the Teen Driver Challenge? Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Thank you to the these Teen Driver Challenge Contributors:
- Jay Odom
- NWFSC Criminal Justice Training Center
- Bay Chrysler, Panama City
- Lenny’s Sub Shop
- O’Reilly’s Auto Parts
- Niceville Wal Mart
- Majic Muffler of N.W.FL
- Niceville Chick-fil-A
- Niceville Subway
- State Farm Insurance – Frank Walker Agency
- Giff’s Sub Shop of Fort Walton Beach
- Firehouse Subs of Destin
- Auto Zone on Eglin Pkwy