Hiring Off-Duty Deputies
Deputies are available for private hire during their off-duty hours at the request of citizens, organizations, and businesses. These deputies can assist the community by providing law enforcement services relating to crowd control, traffic control and security. Deputies are available on short notice, long-term placements and for all your security needs.
Deputies may be hired for the following:
- Traffic control and pedestrian safety
- Crowd control
- Civic celebrations
- Construction sites
- Job safety
- Private functions
- Social events
- Store sales events
- Security and protection of life and property
- Exercise of routine law enforcement
Procedure for hiring an off-duty deputy is as follows:
- Contact the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office Secondary Employment Coordinator, Melissa Pagan, at 850-613-2211 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete application and return to the Secondary Employment Coordinator. You may fax completed application to 850-609-3048 or email at email@example.com.
- Upon receipt of the application, the Secondary Employment Coordinator will contact you in order to verify the information and obtain specify details. A minimum of three days’ notice is required to complete the process.*
- Each application must be approved prior to final acceptance. The Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office reserves the right to refuse or cancel off-duty work assignments that are in conflict with the law or values of the Sheriff’s Office. Furthermore, the Sheriff’s Office may recall the deputies for official duty when necessary for community safety.
Rates of Service
The current rate of pay for off-duty services is $30.00 or $40.00 an hour for each deputy depending on requirements. This fee includes $27.00/$37.00 an hour for each deputy plus a $3.00 an hour administrative fee. This administrative fee is paid separately and directly to the Sheriff’s Office and is used to offset the cost of fuel, uniform use, vehicle wear and tear, and fees associated with administering the secondary employment program. The rate is re-evaluated 1 October every year. There is a two hour minimum charge regardless of the need.
Events requiring five (5) or more deputies will require a supervisor. The supervisor rate is $30.00 an hour plus the $3.00 an hour administrative fee.
Contract for service: Application for Hiring Off-Duty Deputies
* Requests not meeting the three day processing schedule will be assessed a convenience fee. The rate of pay will be $40.00 an hour with a four hour minimum charge.